News and Press Releases
4:10 PM CDT, June 6, 2009
FORT WAYNE, Ind.
A house fire early Saturday killed two children and badly injured two others, firefighters said.
Seven children between the ages of 7 and 13 were inside the home when the fire began in the kitchen before 2 a.m. Saturday, Fire Battalion Chief Jerome Gaines said.
One of the older children awoke to the smell of smoke and the sound of a fire alarm and rushed three children from the house, Gaines said.
Firefighters found four children inside the home. Fire, police and medical personnel performed emergency medical treatment, but one child died at the scene. The three others were taken to the hospital, where one of them later died.
Allen County Coroner Jon Brandenberger identified the two who died as 12-year-old as Keiara Sanders and 7-year-old Deonesti Luckett. Both died of asphyxia due to smoke inhalation.
The two other hospitalized children were in critical condition Saturday, WANE-TV reported.
Gaines said no adults were home at the time the fire started.
Fort Wayne Fire Chief Pete Kelly said the mother of at least one of the children had been home earlier in the evening but left around midnight.
Kelly said the fire was ruled accidental, having started with unattended food or cooking oil on a stove.
•First Alert Store Featured Product of the Month - 08/02/12
•First Alert Carbon Monoxide Alarms for 2012 - 05/03/12
•First Alert Safes - Fire, Water and Anti-Theft Safes for 2012 - 05/03/12
•First Alert Smoke Alarms for 2012 - 05/03/12
•Hardwired CO Alarm - 09/14/10
•Hearing Impaired Strobe Alarm - 09/14/10
•Escape Light Smoke Alarm - 09/14/10
•File it Safe with First Alert’s Hanging Folder File Box - 09/14/10
•Preparing Yourself Has Never Been Better with First Alert Water Alarm - 09/14/10
•A Brand New Way, A Brand New Light - 09/14/10
•Cash Out Just Right with First Alert Deluxe Cash Box / Money Tray - 09/14/10
•No Need for a Deposit Box; First Alert Has Your Needs Covered - 09/14/10
•Testing Kits—Mold - 09/14/10
•Hurry Before It’s Too Late! Enter in your chance to win a First Alert Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detector Home System - 09/14/10
•Testing Kits –Lead - 09/13/10
•Identifying Your Security Needs: The Pros and Cons to Combination and Digital Lock Safes - 09/13/10
•Holy Moldy!! PT.2 Tips and Tricks to Help Reduce Mold in your Home - 09/13/10
•Holy Moldy! Controlling the Outspread of Mold - 09/13/10
•Protecting Our Home Means Protecting Our Children - 09/13/10
•Hardwired Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup - 09/13/10
•New alarms coming to FirstAlertStore.com - 09/13/10
•Spring Cleaning - 09/13/10
•OneLink First Alert Alarms - 09/13/10
•Protecting your atmosphere: Radon Test Kit helps protect your health more than you can imagine! - 09/13/10
•What is Carbon Monoxide and who it can affect? - 09/13/10
•Fires: what you should know - 09/13/10
•Resetting your battery - 09/10/10
•Just in time for the Holidays: Fire Protector Chest - 09/10/10
•HOW SAFE IS YOUR SAFE - 09/10/10
•First Alert Store Videos - 09/10/10
•TIS THE SEASON TO MULTIPACK - 09/10/10
•Special Pricing for the perfect Carbon Monoxide Detector - 09/10/10
•Make It A Priority to Test Your Alarms Annually - 09/10/10
•Tundra Fire Extinguisher, the perfect gift - 09/09/10
•First Alert Motion Sensing Light Socket - 09/09/10
•WHAT’S IN YOUR DRINKING WATER - 09/09/10
•Pratice using your Fire Escape Ladder - 09/09/10
•Make it easier to test and mute unwanted alarms with an infrared remote - 09/09/10
•A Step Away From Safety: First Alert Escape Ladders Make Fire Rescues Easier to Achieve - 09/09/10
•First Alert Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup – 48 pack - 09/09/10
•Win First Alert Wireless CO and Smoke Detector Home System - 09/09/10
•Fort Wayne fire leaves 2 children dead, 2 hurt - 06/08/09
•Two girls, 11, believed dead from carbon monoxide poisoning west of Boca - 06/01/09
•Toxic fumes fill 3 Philly homes - 05/09/09
•Three Killed in Wayne County Fire - 01/21/09
•50 tenants evacuated after deadly monoxide leak - 01/13/09
•Woman, 23, Dies of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - 01/06/09
•34 poisoned by carbon monoxide at family party - 01/02/09
•Daylight Saving Time brings important safety reminder - 03/10/08
•Carbon monoxide can be deadly intruder - 01/19/08
•Sundre fire chief credits detector for saving lives - 01/19/08
•Which type of smoke detector do you have? - 01/19/08
•Smoke detectors can give time needed to escape from fire - 01/19/08
•Fire Safety: Clean, Check and Use Common Sense - 01/19/08
•Let's sound the alarm for burning toast - 01/19/08
•Governor Blagojevich proclaims January as Radon Action Month - 01/19/08